“Great talent is everywhere, and not everyone wants to move to San Francisco”, wrote basecamp founders Jason Fried and David Heine Meier Hansson in “Remote,” published in 2013.
The points of view of these were way ahead of their time. Now almost every team worker and an individual worker has realized the benefits of remote working to enhance productivity and culture. The remote work population is steadily increasing, and this results in competition. Generally, companies seem to not grow if they don’t hire remote workers, losing skills that are not present near office space.
Remote work services improve the quality of work and life of individuals. “Great remote workers and simply great workers”, the quote by Fried and Hansson.
There are many unique challenges to hiring a full-time remote worker and investing money in them. It becomes very important that we choose the best of the best hiring consultancy.
Below are some of the qualities and advice for recruiters on hiring great remote workers:
Be clear on the “ Rules of Engagement”
The very important situation is understanding what is remote work?. It can be anything based on your requirement and the candidate you choose. There are various kinds of remote workers that work from home to a full office-based work environment. The very important thing is that every company requires some tasks and must have Rules of Engagement according to the convenience of the policies of the company and the remote worker. Generally, these policies include requirements for remote work along with the best practices for creating an effective remote worker daily. Communicate as early as possible with your applicants. Use specialised candidates software to easily find these workers. The mobile phone is very important. It provides you with a way to promote your team support for remote work and provide any perk like stipends, internet cost, or subscriptions to co-working space. Also, smartphones provide the earliest means of communication with your remote worker to clarify what is expected of the worker.
Check for a realistic outlook on remote work
As good as it sounds but full-time remote work is not for everyone. There are various causes for both individuals and team cultures which makes it all the more important that the team of remote workers develops remote works best practices.
Following are the benefits of remote work for an individual:
- And increase in productivity with long and interrupted hours.
- Better work-life balance
- Less time consuming
- Increased diversity in a teamBut, very few of the applicants can face the challenges related to full-time remote work, which are:
- Depression, anxiety and loneliness due to isolation from college
- No in-person interactions
- Collaborating effectively across different time zones
- Distraction from home task and trouble
- Feeling less significant.
- One thing very important to consider is if the applicant has any prior experience in working remotely. If they did work remotely, they will be aware of these things and can easily manipulate themselves to work effectively.
- Check for strong digital communication skill.
- Communication skills are very important for any applicant. However, for remote work, communication is almost specifically only digital. You can check the communication skills while the recruitment process itself and also if the emails are written according to the format. Design of a new format of interview for testing strong communication skills can also be done, ensuring that there are no loose ends in remote work as a team or individuals. Video calls are the best means of doing these interviews. Every remote worker should be comfortable with using video call apps. The main thing to keep in mind while designing these interview processes is to make sure that the workers remain to come and communicate with the team.
- These are some of the main bits of advice that a recruiter should follow to hire remote workers that can help the company in the most effective way. The most common fact that everyone misses is that if the worker is interested in the work you are offering. With some questions and the behavior of remote workers, you can analyze this and work upon your analysis.
There are various pros to remote work which include higher productivity by the remote working teams than the teams that are present in the office. The talent you get virtually is huge and you can find any kind of remote worker as per your requirements. This also provides less maintenance of office Infrastructures and adjusts the salaries according to the worker’s country. This saves a lot of money. However, there are some cons to this remote working which include distractions, potential security issues, and limited FaceTime with the remote worker. This provides you with an insight into how important a recruiter becomes when it comes to hiring and evaluating remote workers.
Remote work is very great for both the company and the individual if done in a manner to be advantageous for each other. The recruiter plays a very important role in this. The recruiter has the opportunity and responsibility to make sure that the interviewers are evaluating for the skills that are required making sure that remote work is as effective and valuable as possible for the company. Also, in favor of the company’s interest in remote work. Some of the recruiters also try to work themselves remotely to understand the problems and the advantages of working remotely so that they can put themselves in the shoes of remote workers while recruiting and better handle the situations in the future.